Saturday, October 16, 2004

Just starting today...

Ok, so I finally decided to start this blog just when blogging is probably about to be oh so "five minutes ago." I've actually been flirting with the idea for the past 2 1/2 years, but never went through with it, for the following three reasons:
1) When it comes to web-savviness or web design, I know zilch. Nada. Less than nada. I never even went through the phase in college of creating my own web page.
2) Fear of psychos. Web surfing, yeah, I dig it - even web posting, yeah, I indulge every now and again. But staking out my own spot on the web just seemed like inviting trouble.
3) Aside from aforesaid psychos, who the hell would bother to read it?

In the end, I came around, for these 3 reasons:
1) Expressing my thoughts/opinions isn't a luxury for me, it's a necessity. It keeps me sane. Even if no one's reading or listening. And the beauty of blogs is the design matters less than just having a space to spill your thoughts.
2) If I bug my friends enough, they'll read it occasionally...right? I'm told I'm a good writer.
3) I want a place to put my movie reviews. The first thing you have to know about me is I LOVE movies. My dream job is to be a film critic, and I reviewed films for my college and law school newspapers. Unfortunately, I graduated, and critics' jobs being scarce, I'm on track to becoming a lawyer. But I still gotta get my movie critic's fix. The whole point of being a movie critic, though, is not to write reviews only for yourself, but to communicate your opinions to others. Not necessarily to persuade them, but at the least to make them think differently about a movie, see it in a different light than they would have otherwise.

Of course, movies won't be the only thing I'll opine on - anything that sets me thinking is fair game. The presidential election will probably feature prominently in my comments for the next few weeks.

So here we go. Hopefully I'll know how to access this page again - yeah, that's how web-illiterate I am. Be gentle, it's my first time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home