Friday, August 05, 2005

The Perfect Work Schedule...

...would, of course, involve no work at all! That being impossible, I wish we could do away with the whole custom of having to be in an office for 8+ hours straight from 9 am onward, with only a break for lunch (if that), during the best part of the daylight hours.

I mean, what is the point of such a schedule now that we can pretty much be reached anywhere, at any time, thanks to the miracle of wireless communications?

Of course, I acknowledge that for medical residents, large-firm lawyers, and I-bankers, the concept of "daylight hours" means nothing. Day, night, it's all the same: all work, all the time. That'll be me in about three months. But based on my own current work rhythms, my ideal weekday schedule would look something like this:

9 am: Wake up; breakfast, read the paper, make myself presentable
10:30 am-1 pm: Work
1-4 pm: Lunch, run errands or siesta
4-7:30 pm: Work (I find I'm often unexpectedly productive during these hours, usually because 1-4 pm has been such a wash)
7:30-10 pm: Dinner, relax, watch TV
10 pm-3 am (except on Fridays): Work, preferably from home

Hey, I can dream, can't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home