Monday, December 10, 2007

Give it Up for Some Langella Love

It must be that time of year again: the film critics’ associations have begun handing out their annual awards. Close on the heels of the National Board of Review’s choice of “No Country for Old Men” as best picture, both the New York Film Critics Circle and the Boston Society of Film Critics have followed suit and given “NCOM” top honors. The Los Angeles Film Critics Association, however, gave the nod to the not-yet-released “There Will Be Blood.” (Which reminds me, I need to add that movie to my must-see list, though I believe it doesn’t come out until after Christmas.)

Both the NYFCC and LAFCA named Daniel Day-Lewis as Best Actor for his role in “There Will Be Blood.” I’m sure he deserves it. However, MAJOR kudos to Boston for recognizing Frank Langella’s fabulous performance in “Starting Out in the Evening”! (LAFCA also named Langella its runner-up for Best Actor.) With this, and Langella’s recent Indie Spirit nomination, there may be hope of an Oscar nod after all…I’m certainly keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that the distributor will do a LOT more to promote the movie and release it in more cities! As far as I can tell, it’s still only playing in N.Y. and L.A., though I think it’s due to open in Chicago soon.

Much fuller coverage of all the awards leading up to and through the Oscars is available at the inimitable Film Experience.

I, in the meantime, will continue to monitor Langella’s awards progress, and future release dates for “Starting Out in the Evening.”

Update: Aha, a whole bunch of new release dates have been posted...It opens in Chicago this Wednesday, and then it looks like the next wave is this Friday, Dec. 14, when the film hits D.C., San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Denver, Philly, and other assorted cities. For the full rollout schedule, go here.

2 Comments:

Blogger EC said...

Before the beginning of I'm Not There, I saw the trailer for Starting Out... in SF, so I'm sure it's playing (or will soon play) here too. Anything with Lily Taylor excites me.

8:08 PM  
Blogger lylee said...

Yep, it's opening this Friday in SF. Taylor's very good, too. They all are, even if Langella is the standout. I don't think the trailers quite do him or the movie justice - there are a lot of layers to the characters and their relationships that you can really only unpeel by seeing the film.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home