Thursday, December 31, 2009

December 2009 Movie Roundup

As is customary for this time of year, I've spent the better part of the last couple of weeks trying to see as many movies as possible. Consequently, I won't have time to review them all before putting together a top ten list for the year - at least, not if I want that list to be somewhat timely.

So as an experiment in brevity, for each of the last five films I saw, I'm offering my thoughts in ten words or less. Think I can't do it? Think again!


INVICTUS (directed by Clint Eastwood; starring Morgan Freeman, Matt Damon)

Not a single unexpected moment. Yawn.

GRADE: B-


FANTASTIC MR. FOX (directed by Wes Anderson; voices of George Clooney, Jason Schwarzbaum, Michael Gambon, others; based on book by Roald Dahl)

Wes Anderson's whimsy put to best use since "Rushmore." Delightful.

GRADE: B+/A-


ME & ORSON WELLES (directed by Richard Linklater; starring Zac Efron, Christian McKay, Claire Danes)

Lightweight but enjoyable reminder that geniuses are often charismatic assholes.

GRADE: B


AVATAR (directed by James Cameron; starring Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, voices of Zoe Saldana, CCH Pounder, others)

Clunky but gorgeous fantasy rewrite of the Western imperialist narrative.

GRADE: B/B+


A SINGLE MAN (directed by Tom Ford; starring Colin Firth, Julianne Moore, Matthew Goode, Nicholas Hoult, Ginnifer Goodwin)

Self-consciously arty yet poignant depiction of grief. Bravo Mr. Firth.

GRADE: B+


Note: If one of these films ends up in my top ten for 2009, I will make every effort to do a fuller review as soon as possible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home