Sunday, January 13, 2013

Golden Globes 2013 - a few thoughts

I'm too tired to do a full-on recap of tonight's Golden Globes, but here in no particular order are some of my thoughts on the evening.

SO HAPPY FOR BEN AFFLECK. To the Academy: ARGO fuck yourself.

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler: BEST HOSTS EVER. Can we get them for the Oscars too, please?

Jodie Foster receives the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award, and...words fail me. Was that a coming out speech, an anti-coming out speech, a thank you, a farewell, a giant "fuck y'all," all of the above, or none of the above? Doesn't help that a key line was apparently bleeped by the censors. I think my favorite moment was the cut to a slack-jawed Mel Gibson, clearly just as befuddled as the rest of us. You know it's a hell of a Golden Globes when a surprise appearance by BILL FRICKIN' CLINTON is NOT the biggest "whoa" moment of the night.

And speaking of Clinton, best comment ever on his "Lincoln" intro, courtesy of the internets: "I think Spielberg brought a Bill Clinton to the Harvey Weinstein knife fight."

The Weinstein still had a pretty good night, even if the Hollywood Foreign Press ultimately loved Ben Affleck and Les Mis more than his babies (Silver Linings Playbook, Django). I loved Argo, and while I didn't love Les Mis, I love Hugh and Anne, so I'm happy for them.

On the TV side, big night for "Homeland" and "Girls." I think the former went a bit downhill this season and I've only seen two episodes of the latter, but again, because I like the people involved in both shows, I'm happy for them, too. But Mandy Patinkin was robbed!

Fashions: nothing remarkable, unless you count JLo's peekaboo lace dress. Personally thought JLaw(rence) looked better. Something about JChastain's dress didn't quite work, though I liked the color.

Handsome check: how does George Clooney manage to look more dapper with each passing year? And how does Ewan McGregor stay so pretty? Can Hugh Jackman ever not be charming?

Cutest Hollywood couple: def John Krasinski & Emily Blunt. I heart them.

Oh, and finally, an honorary award for best stonyface of the night: Tommy Lee Jones, looking painfully unamused by Will Ferrell and Kristen Wiig (who, in fairness to TLJ, were not nearly as funny as they thought they were). Runner-up: Taylor Swift's bitchface at losing out to Adele for Best Song. I'm sorry, Taylor honey, but "Skyfall" was the better song, Adele can sing circles around you, and her acceptance speeches, unlike yours, are a riot. Adele = awesome.

On to the Oscars!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home