Friday, November 04, 2005

I am the classical music QUEEN...

Ok, not really. Not at all, actually. But I have to give myself props for this. While driving home from work today, I switched to my favorite classical music station, KUSC (FM 91.5 for you Angelenos), as I am wont to do. A piece for piano and orchestra was playing that I'd never heard before. The piano part was very glittery, in a style I thought I recognized immediately: "Liszt," I said aloud. "That has to be Liszt."

But then the piece went on and it started to sound less like Liszt and more like...something else. Like the score to an opera, with a slightly Viennese flavor, even. I couldn't place it. "Almost sort of Weber-ish," I said (yes, I talk to myself in the car sometimes), because the melodic line vaguely reminded me of Weber's "Invitation a la Valse." Only it wasn't a waltz. Hell, I thought, I have no idea what this is.

The piece ended and the radio host identified it as a "collaboration between Carl Maria von Weber and Franz Liszt" - that is, it was Liszt's adaptation and orchestration of Weber's "Polonaise Brillante."

Am I good, or am I good?

It's quite ridiculous, the glow of pride I felt...it lasted the rest of the ride home.

---

And, in other news, Wal-Mart is EVIL - but we already knew that, didn't we?

http://movies2.nytimes.com/2005/11/04/movies/04walm.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home