Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Golden Globes recap

So I watched the first half or so of the Golden Globes with no sound, since I was at dinner in a restaurant - but I don't think I missed much that way. I could still see the clothes and tell who won what award, which is all that matters, right?

No shockers among the awards - and the only moment of real suspense I can remember was the race for best actor in a drama, where Philip Seymour Hoffman edged out Heath Ledger. I make an early prediction that the reverse will occur at the Oscars, but either way, it will be close.

I was pretty happy with how all the awards went, actually. Everyone I wanted to win, did, although I was rooting for Ledger.

And how did they look? Well turned out, for the most part. Highlights: Eric Bana (yum YUM), Natalie Portman (who looks good with short hair, and by the way, is soooo much classier than Keira Knightley - though Keira looked good, too), Teri Hatcher (if you don't look too closely at her face, which still looks all pulled about), Mary Louise Parker (note to Billy Crudup: yer such a fool), Katherine Heigl (of "Gray's Anatomy"), Jessica Alba, Zhang Ziyi (though I don't know about the chartreuse concoction she was wearing, she managed to pull it off). Viggo Mortensen cleaned up most successfully, as did Terrence Howard. And did I mention Eric Bana?

Mistakes: Drew Barrymore's leprechaun look; Anne Hathaway's scary clown lipstick (and scary makeup generally); Rachel Weisz's Bride of Frankenstein 'do (so glad she won best supp actress, though); Heath Ledger's my-hair-is-falling-out-in-patches cut; Kate Beckinsale's tacky white furry wrap; Virginia Madsen's tap-and-they'll-pop decolletage; the growth on Charlize Theron's dress; Alanis as a blonde; spray-on tans on everyone from Mariah Carey to Eva Longoria.

Other random observations:

I like Cynthia Nixon better with red hair.

Michelle Williams has lost a TON of weight - a little too much, I think. She could stand to gain back a few.

Rosario Dawson has big teeth. As in "all the better to eat you with, my dear" big.

Eva Longoria had a stunning dress, but I just don't think she's all that.

Gwyneth Paltrow is the only Hollywooder who can be very obviously pregnant and still look narrower than other Hollywooders.

And finally, was it just me, or did Anthony Hopkins seem a bit drunk or stoned or something in his DeMille award acceptance speech? At a certain point I thought he was going to thank the plumbers who fix his bathroom pipes.

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to alert me to anything I've missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home