Thursday, September 24, 2009

And the best moment of the fall TV season so far...

...was not in "Mad Men" (much as I love that show).

Nope, that honor goes to a silly little show called "Glee," which for me just crossed over tonight from guilty pleasure to shameless addiction. Oh, it's got plenty of flaws - a couple of the storylines are a bit crazy, most of the characters border on caricature, and the tone sometimes wobbles uneasily between overbroad satire and after-school special sentimentalism. But the performers rock, the musical numbers are ace, and the unabashed celebration of song & dance goes straight to my karaoke-loving, former-choir-girl heart. And this week's episode made use of Beyoncé that was nothing short of sublime. Five words:

"Single Ladies" on football field.

And I'm not talking about the cheerleaders - I'm talking about the football team. You have to see it to believe it. I laughed so hard I think my neighbors could probably hear me.

********

On a different topic, it's a little late for a tribute to Patrick Swayze, and I'm not sure I'd be able to write much of one anyway, considering the only movie I recall ever seeing him in was "Dirty Dancing." Not that I couldn't write a whole post on "Dirty Dancing" alone, which is up there among my top semi-guilty pleasures of all time. "DD" is quite possibly the most viscerally satisfying dance movie ever made (and I'm a sucker for the genre), and a large part of that is due to Swayze. Although I was too young at the time to have the hots for him (and even when I was older I never really did), even at the age of 10 I could appreciate his outstanding grace and physical charisma and understand his appeal to the character of a quiet, bookish, ugly-duckling girl. He was a delight to watch in that movie.

But beyond that, Swazye was by all accounts a gracious, generous, deservedly well liked guy, and there's no question he died too young. This has been a bad year for the passing of cultural icons...like the rest of them, may he truly rest in peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

As much as I support expanding the football playbook, that dance sequence was a wee bit over the top for me. (Just a little.) Even setting aside the fact that they'd be penalized for a false start, we probably won't be seeing the Miami Dolphins incorporate Beyonce into their wildcat formations anytime soon.

4:02 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Entertaining though!

4:02 AM  
Blogger lylee said...

Oh, there's no question it was over the top. But I don't care. The sheer comic effect of that sequence transcended its utter implausibility.

2:31 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Is "Cathy" an actual friend or a spam blogger? In any event I have to admit the show is growing on me.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home